Saturday 2 July 2011

Bobbing along

Last night run was a bit knee glitchy to begin but not impossible like the night before.
After about 5 minutes, the knee had warmed up and by 10 minutes, it was as painless as usual.
We only did the shorter hillier run as it was OH's second run in a row and I didn't want to tempt knee fate for myself.

I made jam yesterday so we have quite a lot of sweet stuff now to add to breakfast or to have on toast.

Today is the Chocolate day and probably a rest day.

WHINGE ALERT ....
The OH has gone to treat a niece to a birthday shopping treat and restaurant lunch with her mum.
I sometimes resent these expeditions as he chooses to do them regardless of whether we have money and often without mentioning them until the day or a day or 2 before.
It feels like they are his family but nothing to do with me or the kids at all.

When I was a kid, Aunts and uncles were the people who sent you a present on your birthday or Xmas and you went to see maybe twice a year. You never called them by their Christian name alone and the husband of your mother's sister,was called Uncle and treated with the exact respect that was afforded to his wife.
They were never seen as the Aunt's husband who stood at the side and watched your family interact, they were your family just as much as the actual blood relations.
I think that none of OH's nephews and nieces think of me or the kids as family and some don't even know our names.
When my 6 year old nephew came to stay about 14 years ago, he kept having to ask me my name and said mummy had told him I was Aunty M (not even close to my name).
My kids were taught to write thank-you letters whenever they received presents from other family but there were rarely any in return or to ourselves and eventually I stopped buying for them as they were virtually strangers.

It is like a little club involving only the immediate brothers and sisters. If you are not one of them,your existence is ignored unless you have some amusing or entertaining spectacle to perform.

When we announced we were going to get married,the youngest (spoilt sister and very manipulative) had somehow acquired OH's birth certificate (needed to get a wedding license). We had to ask his mother to get it for us. Said sister acquiesced and even offered to make a cake for our wedding. On the day, she did not even attend the wedding, much less make a cake.She was not missed and nor was the elusive cake. We had plenty of friends there and we jumped in our little car afterwards and went camping.

One of the nieces is marrying at the end of the year. OH accepted invitations to us all but my son wont go because he doesn't know any of them. My daughter wont go because she would rather be with her boyfriend 600 miles away and I wont go because I refuse to dress up for the scrutiny of the 'sisters' who are quite audibly critical of anyone who doesn't fit their criteria.  The niece is a nice girl and her intended seems a nice person too but it would feel like going to a TV personality wedding, I know the face and the voice but there is nothing else.

No comments: