Monday 19 September 2011

Weekend of laziness

Saturday the OH was off to some police seminar thing and it bucketted down at home.
I went to town complete with backpack and came home with a nice big chicken.
I thought I would have a quick mosey in the charity shops just to see what was on offer sport wear wise at the moment.
Didn't buy anything but saw a sleeveless wet suit,reebok 3/4 trousers, La fitness full length trousers, Speedo swim suit in good nik , several mens swim shorts and one ankle weight.
All the clothes apart from the mens swim shorts, would have fit me but I didn't need anything.
I was back home in 2 hours so considered the walk a light workout.

I managed to do pull ups throughout the day as well,mostly 3's and some 2's.

Saturday night,the men decided to mention that they were off on a Karate day on Sunday.
 This was the first time I had heard about it and I was quite disappointed that they had not said anything earlier because I   do the weekly shop on Sunday and they would be taking the car.

Sunday,I thought I would go with them and watch so made some Bacon sarnies,boiled some eggs and put a bottle of water and an Apple a piece in a bag.
The camera and my camera phone went too.

Karate

The venue was a leisure centre sports hall.
There were quite a lot of people and several instructors.
Various levels of belts  were on display ,about 10 black belts,some brown and white,some brown.
There were 2 people not in belts who I think may have been from the tai chi class and one white belt(the earliest belt you can wear)
It transpired that the event was a combination of techniques.
Participants were divided into groups ,about 8 to 10 people in each.
Then they rotated around the hall, being shown the new techniques by the instructors.
I sat at the side and took photos without using the flash as the hall was brightly lit for the most part and I didn't want to be annoying by flashing throughout the day :D

One group did knife work,learning to react to a knife attack.The knives were fakes of course.
Another did self defence ,not Karate, more how to deal with unexpected street attack.
There was jui jitsu with a lot of plonking of bodies onto thick floor mats.
The group I found most impressive,was the Tai chi.
That is the flowing martial art that you often see being practiced as an early morning exercise form in Japan.
Here it was being demonstrated, practiced and then given relevance by being explained as blocks and retaliation for violence and I think it relied a lot on balance and shifting of weight but what was interesting was, the instructor was in his 60's and when showing some of the Black belt Karate people how to do it, he sent them reeling backwards with seemingly hardly any effort.

So no exercise for me on Sunday apart from the clicking of my finger on the shutter release.

No comments: