Monday 31 October 2011

Bookishness and phones

I am still reading the hunger games.
I am now on book 3 called the Mockingjay.
So called because the heroin of the trilogy is becoming an icon for the rebellion in her own right and the Mockingjay was her symbol during the first two books as she struggled through the hunger games.
This third book has interesting parallels with Logans Run and Nineteen Eighty Four.

Phone talk

I was reading about James the ecopunk today.
He has a blog named http://www.ecopunk.org.uk/ 
In which he outlines his slavery free life and strategies for living as freely as he can.
He doesn't let anything get in his way,if he needs to relocate abroad,well he just ups and goes!
I have followed his blog for years and his previous blog before that.
An interesting read.

A recent post of his describes his use of his mobile phone.

I thought I would describe my own use of mobiles too in case anyone finds it interesting and if they don't 'meh' !

I have 4 phones. Each one having been passed along to me by my husband when he receives his latest upgrade.

Nokia 3310

The oldest is a Nokia 3310 which is a basic little phone for making calls and texts.
It has a few simple games and runs in Symbian.

The 3310 was a commonly owned phone amongst school children in the UK some years ago and so has a large supply of 'new fascia covers' which are often available for dirt cheap prices in charity shops.

My phone has a customized outer because the plain grey was too dull. I painted mine dark green and it has owls painted on it. I also have a dragons scale desktop screen and Harry Potter theme for the ring tone.

NGage
The next newest is an NGage which looks a bit like a games console.
It can play some very nice games providing you have a large enough memory card installed.
I have played Lara Crofts tomb raider on it and it was impressive.
The NGage can play games against others if you use its blue-tooth connection.

I also have used it to run Route66 gps program along with a GPS receiver which worked very well and started me on the road (literally) to not worrying about getting lost when driving to unknown places.
NGage can also be used as a word processor and there are quite a lot of applications that can be found online running under Java or Symbian to make it work as a
  • mini film viewer  
  • mp3 player  
  • calculator 
  • calender
  • Radio.
I think it was too bulky for the majority of phone users, they didn't want to carry such a brick around as it wont fit into a pocket easily.

Nokia E61

Next is my very favourite phone, the Nokia E61
This is a smart phone. It can do all that the NGage does but with more style.
The screen is larger and GPS is much easier to find for this as it can run Tom Tom or Nokia Maps(free from nokia) which get updated more . No inbuilt GPS,you need a receiver.
I love the keyboard.
  • It has powerpoint compatibility.
  • Can watch films 
  • Play games for Symbian or Java
  • Word process
  • Spreadsheet
  • Listen to the radio
  • You can hook it up to a projector
  • It can act as a modem
  • It connects to wifi and bluetooth.
  • Runs Symbian 

X6

The newest phone I have acquired is the X6 also Nokia.

This is an awful phone because it is touch screen.
My fingers are small,almost child-sized and I have trouble in typing on it so that my finger ends hit the right letter.
My son who owned this phone before me(not OH in this case) , has much bigger hands and couldn't type anything with it.

It has a saving grace however, it can take photographs.
For me,this is its main feature, it has an excellent camera.
It has become my phone number of quote in case I have to stick a contact number in on a form anywhere and my camera when I am submitting my receipts to shop and scan.

I keep the phone alive by dialing the 'whats my balance' number once a month so I don't bother ever topping it up as the money doesn't roll over month to month on 3 pay as you go tariff which is daylight robbery.

This has inbuilt GPS but it is a piece of sh**e ,it has only once connected to the satellites and when I most needed it to do so,when we were in  a hurry , it completed copped out .

The maps are still viewable without connecting however which is handy for general use.

It can connect to wifi and that is handy for Internet and email if we are not at home but in range of a wifi spot.

I did get skype on it too but my daughter couldn't get it to work on her phone so that part is untested.

This also runs on Symbian OS.

I really like the OS as it is easy to install things to it but the newer versions have certificate signing which is a complete pain in the proverbial because it means that certificates can expire and the software you once installed no longer does..

No comments: