Sunday 4 December 2011

Making old new again!

Goodness a whole week and more has passed me by!

I have been busy with surveys,they always seem to get more frequent at this time of year.
I have had at least 3 a day for the last 6 weeks.
It all goes to help,even the very small ones.

Today I had a bit of a success with my mending en-devours.
I wanted my own e book reader and after buying one second hand for my daughter for Christmas, I thought it would be nice to have my own.

So I looked for broken ereaders on Ebay and found one to bid on.
It was a Sony ereader with a touch screen but the e-ink pad part had become corrupt but it still charged okay.
Anyway,I bought it for £15.
Then I fiddled with it for a week and decided it needed a new e-ink display, so back on Ebay and ordered one from China (Sony are from over there and the screens are only available there) £41 delivered.

It came yesterday (8 days from ordering to arriving) and I was rather horrified to find that it didn't have a back made of sticky plastic .

I would have to rip the old one off its plastic backing and the plastic backing off the metal frame behind it.

It took me 90 minutes to get it all off (it has a thin mirrored glass backing and I cut my fingers with the tiny pieces as they splintered) and then today about 2 hours to clean the plastic back to it glue-less self with WD40.

Then I got a tube of contact adhesive courtesy of poundland (we already had it in the cupboard) and glued the new,terribly fragile looking e-ink display ,onto the plastic and the plastic onto the original frame.

After all that,I had to get it all back in its case in the right place and without damaging the new display.

Well I did it. Turned it on and it worked first time.

I have been singing all afternoon while getting tea started because I am so chuffed that something I set out to do,actually worked.

The ereader has cost me £56 which is a lot for me to spend on myself I suppose but I have learned a huge lot about them in a short time.
I often find PDF's of manuals or instruction books that I would like to download but as the laptop is mains only ,it isn't worth it for the non portability.
I shall try to put some on the reader when it is charged up fully and see how they view.

No comments: