Monday 5 December 2011

Bookish Monday

I have been reading more from SIR Terry Pratchet.
This one is called Jingo and is in my sons definition of the word, war without the need for a logical reason.
That fits the story quite well.
There are some thought provoking parallels with the world as we know it anyway, not just about the reason for war but also concerning the way one nation will treat another regarding tradition ,food, manners etc.
I think it is his most serious that I have read.
Still plenty of fun though.


I have to admit to having thought originally that Jingo was a retort 'By Jingo' for example and maybe the two meanings are not so far apart after all.


I have been watching the 'Ice road truckers tackle the worlds most dangerous roads' on Friday night TV.
Quite often,one of the drivers will say something quite thoughtless and insulting and the locals who are their companions, are very tolerant.
If they had been in Mr Pratchets book, they would have been lying in a pool of blood with their throats cut. Not that I am giving anything away.

My hero in the TV series is Lisa the only female driver on the series thus far.
She worries and worries but she gets the job done just the same.

No comments: