Saturday 10 December 2011

Frugally wrapping pressies

I have wrapped all the presents for family now.
Earlier in the month, I took delivery of an Amazon parcel which was several things all sent together to save on postage and having to 'be in' for the postie.
They were packaged in lots of pale grey paper to keep them secure,so when I had checked them all, I put the paper aside to wrap them in.

There was enough for all the packages including OH's birthday present.
After wrapping them all, I took my sharpies (coloured felt pens) and drew little designs on the parcels to make them more christmassy.

I didn't bother with labels, I put a little letter in one corner so that I can identify which one is for which person.

I used sticky tape to secure the paper so probably that was about 10 pence worth and the paper itself cost me nothing at all.
No having to buy a roll or two in poundland this year.

OH will still buy paper and cards,whatever I do, he always does.
He cant bare to think that his 3 sisters might think we are poor.

They would be wrong anyway, we aren't poor ,we are frugal and always will be ,however much we have in the bank.

In the past, buying thin paper with gaudy designs on and ready made christmas cards would have been seen as the poor option, the rich would paint their own cards to one another and wrap things in plain paper with a pretty decoration they had added themselves.
Even Queen Victoria painted her own cards to her family.

Car expenses

We have the wretched insurance to renew on the car this month.
It is hefty because DS isnt a fully fledged license holder yet and when he is, he wont have had a lot of experience of driving.
I will pay it out of the grocery budget. That will leave me £45 a week for anything else (including food) which is almost all that we need anyway.
It wont all be from this months grocery of course, I save some every month and when there is a certain amount, it goes in the savings but that wont happen this month.

Mneh, so long as we have enough to eat, are warm and healthy and happy, it is only money when all is said and done.


No comments: