Friday 30 March 2012

Keeping a heavy purse

This month I withdrew £120 at the beginning so that I could use it to challenge myself to a grocery challenge.
I shop every weekend and then that must last us the week.
Last weekend was the last shop for this week as the Saturday and Sunday of this week will be used to buy next weeks food etc.
I still have £43 in there!

I think that is the best I have managed since before I worked from home.
Back then I could spend £10 to £15 some weeks and have all we needed for a week.
That was when I grew nearly all the veg we needed.

I did find myself thinking of spending a couple of times.
I went to the cinema on Monday but took a sandwich,banana,chocolate and a drink with me. The ticket was from a survey site so the day out cost me nothing at all and I was chuffed that it had not, despite thinking of myself as being a seasoned skinflint.

Lidl had tillers last weekend and I was sorely tempted to buy one but I was there on foot and knew I couldn't carry it all the way home.
At home afterwards, I read about them and realised that tillers are not rotovators, they are more like my push hoe. They break up already dug earth.
The Azada and the push hoe can do that and they don't use electricity.
I also realised I would have had to buy a cable long enough to reach all the way to the bottom of the garden which might have cost anywhere from £30-£50 so not so cheap after all.

No comments: