Monday 27 February 2012

Whinge Alert!

When does wangling become deceiving?

OH has always been what I call a Wangler.
This word personifies a tricky nature who will twist words and scenarios to get best advantage.
Some would call it Wiliness (think Wile E coyote from road runner).
In some ways, this is a lucky trait because ,after all it is the way shops trick you into buying their goods, so knowing the strategies can help guard against them being used upon you.
However, OH is not a salesman.
He is a husband and father.

So when he uses his wily ways on me, I hate it.
Not so very long ago we argued about his wanting to join the RAF reserves (with guaranteed deployment).

OH you must understand, does what OH wants and will ride rough shod over anyone who thinks differently.
In this matter however, I stood firm.
I married in a Quaker meeting house, understanding that we both were peaceful thinkers and actors.
It is just about acceptable that he should be a special constable, considering the rude and arrogant manner in which the police treat civilians.

I have watched him go from wanting to be a full time policeman in his early 20's,not revealed to me until after our marriage, to rejection after rejection on application.
They of course are quite happy to accommodate his need to perform in uniform by letting him do it for free.
He has been a Special for way over 15 years now.

I pointed out that I was not happy with his urge to join the armed forces. If he should decide to put himself  at risk to the detriment of our family and well being ,then he would be doing it as a single person.

Anyway ,I digress.
The point of this post is that he has decided he wants to help the riot police (again as an unpaid pawn).
It is an offshoot of the specials but would encompass more violence.
He did the training days and according to him is accepted.
Yesterday he informed me that this off shoot is part of the Honourable Artillery Company and he wants to join.

Hang on the  Honourable Artillery Company?
Artillery? Guns?

Yeah, the territorial Army.
He cant see why I am bothered.
He started the riot training in October and only mentioned the HAC yesterday.
4 Months later.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to discover why there was such a long space of time between the action and the revelation.
He decided he would first get accepted, then when the deed was all but done, he would just slip the other bit of information in as a quick comment.

This is his way of saying 'we discussed it' but actually... we didn't!
I have looked at the website and done some deeper reading.
The HAC is a subscription based affair.
Not only would his part in it be unpaid as he is already a special anyway, he must pay for the privilege or being told to come and perform.
The other thing that sits badly with me is the need to join.

I asked him if he needed to belong, to be able to do the riot police duty.
He said NO
So I asked him why he is talking about joining then?
Surely he is a special who is accepted by he specials to do riot work?

What on earth has the HAC to do with it?

As usual the question is met with stony silence.
Obviously I am spoiling his  wangling plans.

.........................................................................................................................


Just to add to the above..
This lunch time he informed me that he will not need to join the HAC after all.
Apparently they are not the same as the Riot squad.
I knew he was already accepted for the Riot work anyway.
The HAC is separate unless you join it as well.
I find it a little muddling that you would join it as well but there you go.

As far as I could tell from the HAC site, you must be no more than 43.
OH being 50 this year, is well beyond that.


Do I sound like a kill joy?

I don't feel like one!
Unless the definition of joy is that one person may enjoy themselves regardless of their family in a bachelor style existence.
If that is the case then OH already gets plenty .

No comments: