Monday 20 February 2012

Trees

I finally got around to putting in the two fruit trees that I bought a few weeks ago.
It was too cold before today.
I dug a hole for each. DS filled in as I held each tree and support post.
The posts were the thin door posts from the dismantled shed.
I used half a bicycle inner tube to tie each tree to a post.

I did discuss where we would plant the trees with OH but he is as usual, completely disinterested in any manual work.
I planted one where I said I would and the other one elsewhere. He has pointed to a space behind the washing line but I don't want bird mess on my washing and no sun on it when the tree is in leaf.
About 4 years ago  when I planted the other 2 Apple trees, he watched me do it, then without a word,dug them up and moved them to the edge of the sloping bit of garden where they still stand.


If the weather keeps up ,I shall get out and start filling seed trays with earth ready for the new years seedlings.
Brassicas and Leeks first.

I bought a bag of Desiree potatoes in the supermarket on Sunday.
They are sitting in the dining room along side two small bags of seed potatoes and will be allowed to sprout so they can be planted.
The bag was 2.5k and cost about 1.80 while each seed potato bag was around 1.50 and both of those hold no where near as many as the supermarket bag contains.

Desiree's are red and reds seem to do much better than whites in our soil.

Our neighbour is going to pay a tree surgeon to hack a bit off our tree that over hangs her garden.
Part of me is quite angry that OH doesn't just take a ladder and a saw and do it himself.
Part of me wants to pay them the cost of the tree surgeon but logic tells me that I shouldn't because the tree is not actually dangerous and the branches are a good way up so they are actually being quite fussy.
Also the sun always shines on the front garden first then around to the left which means their garden gets the sun and our garden the shade from that particular tree.
It isn't blocking a view either because beyond the tree is another tree and then a fence and then houses.
We need the shade ourselves because the greenhouse becomes too hot and the plants become crispy little skeletons without it .

No comments: