Monday 17 September 2012

Upgrades to speed up an old Laptop

Oh has had his laptop about 5 years.
It is an aspire 9300.
When he got it ,it had windows vista and has always plodded along slowly compared with everyone else's machines.
Even my older extensa (from the rubbish pile) with single core CPU and linux was faster.
Recently he has been having start up problems which we decided must be the hard drive having ruled out all else.
He bought a new bigger hard drive and we put windows 7 on .
Now it is zooming along. It is so much faster that he says it is like having a new laptop.
Considering we changed only the hard drive and the OS, it is a vast improvement.

I am playing with the oldest (Extensa) laptop at the moment.
I have 2 batteries for it but both are knackered.
At present I am trying to get some  more charging capacity into the better of the two.
This morning I plugged it in and charged till it stopped(at 11.20% capacity),then ran it down again to 0%,now it is on its second charge and is  at 11.34 so far.I think this will take a while but I believe I can get it back up to something more useful. The 11.20% took 35 minutes to run back down with the backlight turned off. Once I have one working better, I shall play with the other one.

I really haven't done a great deal on the gardening front this week.
I did start clearing the fruit bush overgrowth and will continue with that as and when.

I harvested another collection of marrows on Thursday. We had the little dinky ones to bulk out the tomato sauce on our bolognaise. There are still runner beans to harvest but the French beans are finished.

The Phacelia is covered in Bees.
They mainly seem to be the big fat ones but there are a few smaller brown ones which I believe are the honey bees.
No wonder it is called Bees friend.

I have scarlet clover growing in 2 beds.
Apparently it is a bean related plant so must remember not to put beans in the same place next spring.
The flower heads of clover can be dried and used in Tea to make a natural treatment for Menopause symptoms. I am trying it out.

No comments: