Tuesday 1 May 2012

Free grub just lying there

Yesterday I discovered 2 big mushrooms growing in the compost.
One was about 4" across and the other a little smaller.
I picked them and brought them indoors,got out my mushroom and toadstool identifying book and found the ones that it looks like.
There were 4. One is not really edible but wont kill you, it goes yellow when you bruise it and smells of carbolic if you boil it,the worst thing it does is make you throw up.

I found the right one.
It is called abrupt bulb mushroom.
I nibbled a couple of little bits just to make double sure.
(I wouldn't have done if the 4th mushroom had been fatal,it would all have gone to the rubbish bin.)
We had them chopped up in our chicken stew.
The two mushrooms chopped up, were enough to fill a family sized christmas pudding bowl.

I also added a big bag of Molokhia which grows in our hedge and has done for all the years we have lived here.
I only recently discovered it is edible.

Comfrey


This morning the postman delivered some Russian Comfrey root cuttings.
I already have a couple of plants but didnt want to risk digging them up and dividing, until I had some more established.
A few years back, I bought the first lot, 10 cuttings from HDRA .
I planted them all in the shady bit under the trees and almost all of them disappeared for ever.
The three that emerged eventually,were moved before they too died.

Of course it is raining AGAIN so I have potted them up for now until I can get out long enough to get them a good site prepared.

The reason to use Russian Comfrey is, it doesn't seed itself.
It is only root dividable. Therefore,where you put it to grow,is where it remains.

Plant destruction


Yesterday being only the 2nd sunny day this spring,I spent all afternoon chopping down a rambling rose that used to have a Trellis to hold it up.
The Trellis has sagged to nothing.
There was also an Elderberry tree growing up amongst it and some Sycamore.

The rose was hanging down into next doors garden as well as ours and is a nuisance so needed sorting.

It took me from 12.30 until 4pm to get it chopped down and then another hour and a half of shredding.
I have a huge pile still to shred but we wanted our tea and of course, it rained as soon as Tea was over.

With all this rain, the outdoor jobs just pile up and there isn't sufficient time to do everything when the sun dries it up enough to have a go.

No comments: