Wednesday 11 April 2012

Pictures of the garden

I thought it was about time I got the camera into commission once again.
So here it what I have been up to these hols.
Cherry Tomatoes just coming up,they are a variety called cherry Bell that I haven't tried before.



The cold frame with a make-shift cover
5 rows of potatoes and beyond that you can see the onion beds.
Cherry blossom on the right.
The fruit bed is beyond the onion beds.
The bent over green frames are the tops of the old plastic greenhouses,now used as supports for netting to keep the birds and foxes off the strawberries.
Runner Beans ,Scarlet Emperor (I potted these on yesterday)
Rainwater in Gallon cans ready for watering.
Carrots in loo roll tubes. I have a second lot started and will add to them every 2 or 3 weeks.

I didn't get a picture of the inside of the cold frame which is filled to bursting, as it was raining and I didn't want to get the camera any wetter.

Yesterday after lunch,the postie brought my new toy which is a plough tool for my wheel Hoe.
I found it on Ebay and managed rather jammily to get it for £12.50 delivered.
I have been using the hoe a bit more this year so I spent quite a long time a few days ago,making a bracket for it using the Dremel and some Aluminium from an old Apple Mac case,fashioning  an adaptor for Wolfe tools so they could be used on the hoe.

I managed to make one that would fit all the ends and so all that is needed is to slot the end in and do up a bolt. This works well with the cultivator end and the tiller with the oscilating hoe on and has made it much quicker working the soil. The flatter hoe is unfortunately not angled and so wont really be useful as a wheel hoe attachment .

The whole potato bed was cultivated in about 1 hour from bare earth and then ploughed to take the spuds in about 15 minutes.
Then it was a slower job to bend over and plant all the potatoes in the furroughs.
Last of all ,a swoosh along each furrough and the spuds were covered again.
It was raining by the time the spuds were laying in the earth and so they got a free watering to get them going.

I'll try to get some pictures up of the wheel hoe and its new tools once it is a dry day again. Today is overcast and it has rained and I haven't cleaned off the mud caked plough tool due to the rain becoming rather heavy and me being in it .


No comments: