Tuesday 13 May 2014

Sugru and other squidgy mendy stuffs

I have been quite busy recently with a home made version of Sugru.
While i love the idea of Sugru and think that the inventor is a clever old clog, I cannot warrant spending £8 or £12 on a few tiny little blobs of it when I can make whole blocks of it If I want just by going to instructables or Youtube and typing oogoo into the search box.

Anyway.

Oogoo or Sugru is a silicone based putty  which sets in the air and becomes flexible and rubbery.

It can be used to mend many things and is quite strong and waterproof.
Stands heat and cold well and can be made to be almost any colour.

The official version Sugru  is available in lots of places and comes packed in foil with a 6 months life span or 18 months if you keep it in the fridge.


  • I have used my homemade version to mend a dustpan.
  • Make it a new squeegee edge.
  • Make hooks for the kitchen
  • Pan lid holders
  • A knob for a saucepan lid.
  • A handle for my deep fat fryer
  • hooks in the bathroom
  • Some washers
  • A holder for my wifi dongle so it sits on top of the monitor
  • Buffers on the top of our old loft ladder so it doesn't scratch the wall paper.
  • A Grip for the flask lid which gets too tight to undo
  • Mended the  end of knob on cup rack
  • A new cover for a penknife which I found trodden into the mud when we were out.


Future plans are


  • More bathroom hooks
  • More kitchen hooks
  • More pan lid holders
  • Tidier way to fix the laptop connector on two of the fixed laptops
  • Some rubber stamps for craft
  • Fix my yarn winder to be more robust
  • Fix the seal on the double glazed sliding door that leaks


I'm sure I will find other uses .
So far that is 13 things mended and 7 planned.
I don't know how many packets I could get through of the commercial version.

If you are interested in using the sold stuff.
Consider looking around the house first and finding all the things you want to mend with it.
Write a list and what colour you would need.
This stuff comes in black,white ,yellow,blue and red which are all the primary colours meaning you can mix almost any colour with them.

The home made version is slightly more versatile because you can of course make any colour you have in paint , including I think gold,silver and fluorescent and with glow in the dark powder, there is that option also.





No comments: