Wednesday 23 January 2013

Pi R squared

I have been playing with the Raspberry a bit more this week.
One of the SD cards didn't seem to like it so I swapped it with one the OH had which is the same size,different make.
This one works fine and my card works in his phone quite happily so it was win/win.

There are quite a lot of operating systems available for the Pi so I have changed around a few times to see what they are like.

My favourites so far are openelec and debian wheezy but puppy alpha is also very nice .

There is a boot loader so that you can put more than one on a single SD card.
That is trial and error.
First I couldn't run it at all because it only recognized ethernet,then I tried a different wifi dongle and that worked out so I put all 6 of the OS that are downloadable to work with it and loaded them.
Everything seemed okay until I ran debian and then none of the other OS were accessible.
After much messing about,I now have Puppy and openelec on that one card.

There is a very handy little windows program called HDDbackup which is free and lets you blind copy to an image or from an image of any sized HD including SD cards. That has saved a lot of frustration as it means I can just restore the whole SD card with its OS when I make a hash of something .
It works like xcopy used to work on the amiga, copying every bit on the disk without the need to understand the data.

..............................................................................................................................
Snow

It snowed here last weekend and we have a good thick layer still.
The garden is white and silent.
OH has driven to work by car this week as he can't get the motorbike out onto the main road due to our living in a side road off another side road. Meaning that the council wont clear it.
They do clear the main roads or grit them but that is useless if you cant get onto them in the first place.

We have been trying out our shoe cleats that I bought for christmas.
They are the kind with springs going under your shoes and you stretch them on over your ordinary shoes.
The kind we have are excellent and made walking into town for supplies this weekend, a doddle.
 We took them off on the non snowy parts of town and in shops and where there were still the odd patches of snow, it really noticed how slippy it was compared with wearing them.

.....................................................................................................................................

I m trying a new search and be paid thing.
It is called Qmee.
You add it as a search option and it pays you to search.
No referrals as yet so you will need to google it if you are interested.
One or two places have invites.
I did it yesterday for the first time.
You search as usual but without purposefully trying to 'score pennies' of course.
When a search is relevant to the criteria they are looking for
 (I think this equates to...is sponsored and earns them something),
 you are given a few links to one side and you can earn some pennies by clicking on one.

I havent tried cashing out yet as it will take a while to be worth cashing out but I earned 63pence yesterday much to my surprise.
I don't constantly search all day long but use around 30 searches a day I guess and around 8 of them were with this new 'project'.

They will check the sensibility of searches and how frequently they are accessed so hopefully will weed out greedy online vultures who spoil it for everyone by sitting all day at their computer and typing and clicking with the aim to become millionaires.

.......................................
Online vultures do exist and in their focus on becoming online rockafellers forget that these schemes that pay for online activity must earn in their turn else how will they have anything to pay their minions?
Hence why superpoints sank under the weight of their members.
I have to admit that they were quite generous, promising to give a referrer points based on referrals and sub referrals plus very frequent pay outs.
It was as I said on first joining ,more of a pyramid scheme and they are unsustainable in the long term.
I had one referral while I was a member and they never to my knowledge used the site even once after they signed up.







No comments: