Wednesday 1 August 2012

Home Haircut day

Todays victim was me.
Not so scary as it sounds because I am my own hair cutter.
If I scream stop at any point during the proceedings, it is instantly acknowledged.
I used a combination of tools for this.

  •  The robocut machine that I bought a couple of years ago.
  •  Haircutting scissors.
  •  A thinning tool and thinning scissors.
  •  A hair line guide.
  •  A web cam on a USB cable.
  •  Mirror and comb.

It sounds like a lot but I have been a self snipper for ages (25 years)and you do tend to accumulate new tools along the way.

First I chop to 2 1/2 inches with the machine,my hair is rarely longer than 3" anyway). I leave the crown part alone at this point.
Then 2" at back and sides.
Next fit the web cam to check the back of my head.
I used the thinning tools to do my fringe (Bangs) and the hair line tool to do a neat line round the back of my neck.
The scissors help here of course and the mirror lets me check the front without having to keep changing the web cam position .
I go round each ear and tidy the edge to make a line following on from the fringe.

I'll no doubt notice a few stray bits that need tidying over the day so the scissors are kept handy for that.
The Robocut layers hair so it isn't just one thickness like it is knitted.

I did DS's hair a few weeks back.
For that I used the wondercomb thingummy that I bought from ebay.
It is a comb with a depth piece that you use to give the right length then you just cut over the comb  with scissors.
I made a similar thing some years ago for our clippers so that I could do the back of mine without needing to see it. My gauge was only cardboard fitted with an afro comb but it worked till the cardboard got too soft and bendy.

OH uses a phillips self clipper I bought him around 4 years ago.
He does his about every 6 weeks and tidies the back with the ordinary clippers as he says you get more of a blended look that way. It saves him about £50 a year to do his own .

I only do mine about every 2 months but a womans haircut is around £20 so it saves me about £120 a year or £10 a month.

DD does her own ,she has long hair and just does the fringe .Every so often she will see an advertisement for a free haircut if she models for a trainee so she does get a salon cut sometimes.She colours her hair herself with Henna .

No comments: